Saturday, December 20, 2014

Weekend General's Achilles QF 17pdr Self Propelled Gun for Bolt Action

Hello, loyal followers!

As always, my absence does not indicate lack of modeling effort. Quite the contrary. I've been working on a US Infantrly platoon that will cover Operation Torch all the way through to the end of the war. I sold my British army and the buyer asked that I finish up the Commandos and the Achilles for a consistent look to the overall force. Work proceeds apace on the Commandos, but I finished the Achilles today so I thought I'd post pics here.

This, then, is the British Achilles QF 17pdr Self Propelled Gun. It took the tried-and-true US M10 Wolvering tank destroyer and replaced the (I believe) 90mm cannon with the British QF 17pdr anti-tank gun. This gives the Brits a much needed counter to the heavier armor of German tanks and packs a harder punch than the more common Shermans or Cromwells. Sure, the Sherman Firefly has a QF 17pdr too but I went with the Achilles because it looks different.

 photo IMG_20141220_102914.jpg

 photo IMG_20141220_102945.jpg

 photo IMG_20141220_103013.jpg

 photo IMG_20141220_103038.jpg

I'm really, really happy with the way she turned out... and... a little sad to be sending it off to someone. Hopefully she'll continue putting paid to the German 'Big Cats' on other Bolt Action tables.

No comments:

Post a Comment